Finding the Best Staffing Agency in NYC: What to Look For & How to Choose
If this is your first time exploring recruitment agencies in New York, you may not know where or how to begin your search. Fortunately, if you know what to look for, finding the best staffing agency in NYC can be a breeze. Below are seven steps to help you narrow your search and find a recruiting firm that you'll enjoy partnering with on a long-term basis.
What are the benefits of working with a New York staffing agency?
It's important to understand how finding the top temp and direct hire staffing agency in NYC can help you grow and scale your business. The list of benefits to bringing on a temp agency is long, but we’ve narrowed it down to three key advantages of working with recruiting agencies in New York:
- Access to top talent: Today's leading staffing firms often employ 100-200 recruiters who each have impressive networks of professionals who are at the top of their field.
- Cost savings: Working with a recruiting specialist means that you don't have to pay internal recruiting costs, saving time and money.
- Focused priorities: With a staffing agency providing talented workers and strategic hiring advice, you can focus exclusively on your most pressing priorities.
How do you find the best staffing agency in New York?
Working with a staffing firm can help take your business to the next level of success, but not all staffing agencies are created equal. As your company's HR manager or hiring executive, it's up to you to separate the top contenders from the unreliable and one-size-fits-all staffing approaches. The most effective way to find the best staffing agency in NYC is to follow the seven steps below.
Step One: Identify your staffing needs
The path to a fruitful relationship with a staffing agency begins with a clear understanding of your staffing requirements. Here are some questions to ask yourself as you define your needs:
- Short-term vs. long-term: Are you seeking staff to complete a short-term project? Or are you seeking a longer-term staffing solution?
- Full-time vs. part-time: Will you require staff members to work 40 hours per week or are you just looking for help a few hours per day?
- Peak seasons: Is your primary goal to staff for the holidays or peak season, or will this be an ongoing need?
Step Two: Make a list of agencies that meet your needs
Now that you have a clear understanding of your staffing needs, you can eliminate the agencies that don't meet your requirements. For example, not all agencies are able to assist with part-time staffing or temp to hire opportunities. Most agencies will list their capabilities on their website, allowing you to eliminate those that don't meet your employment needs.
Step Three: Learn each agency's procedures
Once you've narrowed your list to some key contenders, it's time to determine whether the agency is a good fit with your company culture. The best way to do this is to learn about the agency’s method of matching candidates with openings. You can do this by asking the agency to walk you through the process from start to finish. Be sure to discuss basic requirements, hiring timelines, agency fees, and elements of the candidate screening process.
Step Four: Review breadth of services offered
If you've spent a lot of time recruiting and hiring employees, then you likely know how much is involved in the process from start to finish. As you compare staffing firms, look for those who serve as an extension of your HR team to make life easier for you and your team. Here are a few examples of core services they should provide:
- Completion of application paperwork, establishing compliance and work eligibility
- Background checks, drug screens, and reference checks
- Pre-screening of candidates
- Guidance on candidates' compatibility with key roles
- Assistance with long-term hiring decisions and company growth strategy
Step Five: Ensure they can handle emergencies
Not all staffing firms are equipped to handle emergency staffing needs. Before you commit to a staffing agency, take some time to ask the following questions about their ability to respond quickly when you need help fast:
- Last minute needs: Ask how they would be able to help you if you ever find yourself "in a pinch" and in need of help right away.
- Vacation fill-ins: The agency you choose should have temporary staff prepared to fill in if you have multiple employees out on vacation.
- Injuries and illnesses: The staffing firm you choose should have pre-vetted workers on standby to fill in for sick or injured workers.
Step Six: Consider industry reputation
Agencies with a stellar industry reputation are more likely to deliver excellent results than staffing providers with a shortage of clients willing to provide testimonials. In addition to reviewing online reviews and grades posted by the Better Business Bureau, you can review Forbes America's Best Professional Recruiting Firms to identify New York's most reliable agencies.
Step Seven: Request references
Once you have narrowed your initial list of agencies down to three or four, ask them to provide a list of references from companies within your industry. Then carve out some time to reach out to each contact and ask about the pros and cons of working with the agency.
Finalizing your decision
By following the steps above, you will be able to move forward confidently with a reputable staffing agency that will help you find talent in NYC today. But if you're still on the fence about your choice, we invite you to contact us at Career Group Companies. For nearly 40 years, companies across the Empire State have turned to our dedicated recruiters for their staffing expertise, and our proven dedication to finding the ideal staffing match for our clients. When you work with us, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing that our 180 recruiters are committed to helping you achieve your staffing goals. We aim to help you find a long-term solution for your staffing needs, and recognize that while the best long-term matches take time, a fast turnaround is often critical. To discover many other reasons why Career Group Companies clients enjoy working with us, we encourage you to reach out to us today. We look forward to serving as your trusted resource for all of your staffing and recruitment needs!